I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Fear and Food

One of the decks I'll be using this week is the Jolanda Tarot, published by AG Muller; it was created by Rose Bjorkman (Jolanda) and illustrated by Hans Arnold.  Today's draw is the Devil:
Though the woman serving the goat-man has a smile on her face, and though the chain she wears is made from a flowering vine, she is a slave nonetheless.  I am reminded by this card of the stories I have heard from some Southerners about how their ancestors were kind to the slaves who worked on the plantations, as if this somehow excused human bondage.  Any partnership that is based in fear is not real, no matter how pretty the outward appearance may look.  A true connection is based on love and respect with no undercurrent of terror or anxiety.  Fear comes in many sizes and shapes, from the subtle to the obvious. So today I examine my relationships, and look for what binds me to them.

The oracle book and deck set I'll be using this week is Bird Signs, created by G.G. Carbone and Mary Ruzucka and published by New World Library.  Today's card is "Nutrition:"
When I first drew this card, I was shocked to see a cricket and worm on it until I remembered, "Ah, nutrition for birds."  The bugs, berries and seeds show the many food sources for birds; the message of the card encourages me to pay attention to how I feed my body, mind, and spirit.  Around 2am this morning, I woke up in a cold sweat, in pain and feeling sick.  The next thing I remember was coming to face down on the cold tile floor of the bathroom.  Though by noon today I am feeling much better, the experience was a wake-up call for me.  There's nothing wrong with helping others as long as I'm taking care of my needs too. 

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear you are not well. Hope all is well soon. Take care my friend. ;-)

    ReplyDelete