I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Celebrating vs. Settling

From the Norse Tarot, the Four of Wands:
A man takes a break to appreciate the work that has been done and the progress made in building a house. I believe it is important to recognize and celebrate the milestones I reach as I move towards my goals. If I don't, I'm likely to become burned out by my continuous effort, which would result in either apathy or abandonment of my plan.  It's like taking a long trip that's made bearable by taking fun or interesting pit stops along the way.  Some folks may think it's a waste of good time, but if it makes the journey more pleasurable and keeps me enthused about my goal, it seems more a plus than a minus.

From the Wolf Pack deck comes "Risk:"
A wolf tests a lake that is beginning to thaw and shows cracks in the surface.  Maybe he would like to take a short-cut home instead of walking so far in the snow.  In looking at this card with the one above, I am reminded of the risks in getting so caught up in celebrating my progress that I become complacent. To settle for halfway is really settling for nothing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment