I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Mindful Thinking and Eating

From the Gaian Tarot, the Elder of Air (King of Swords):
The flute this elder plays is a symbol of paying attention to what one hears and says. The luna moth in the top corner of the card brings to mind the Lunestra commercial (remember the one where a person is sleeping soundly while a large, lime-green moth is floating around the bed?). Lamb, Hair, and MacDaniel, in their book Marketing 10e, reported that the makers of this drug had the highest advertising recall by consumers in 2007. The manufacturer flooded the media with ads until something beautiful in nature became associated with a pill in a bottle. The authors of Marketing 10e include the relevant comment, "firms should hold off advertising a new medicine for an appropriate period of time. This would allow doctors enough time to learn about the risks and benefits of a new medication before television and Web viewers see an ad and demand a prescription." The King of Swords adamantly warns me not to make assumptions or believe everything I hear. Many people aren't looking out for my welfare but their own; I need facts and figures to make the best choice for myself.

From the Goddess Oracle comes "Corn Mother:"
The Corn Mother was a figure known to indigenous tribes of America who relied on corn as a staple. In many myths, she gives her life so that the humans will have something to eat. The Corn Mother reminds me to slow down and be mindful of the nourishment I absorb. Taking the time to eat slowly and choose healthy foods is just as important as choosing what beliefs and ideas I allow in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment