I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Harmony and Separation

This week I'll be using the Granny Jones Australian Tarot, originally published by Kangaroo Press and created by Granny Jones. Today's draw is the Lovers:
As Granny stands with her partner watching the sunset, it's easy to think of my husband. Yet I know this card is about more than romantic partners; it includes choices I make in aligning myself with other people, groups, causes, interests or careers that I feel an intimate, passionate connection with. This connection is like finding the right key that unlocks a closed door, a door that opens to feelings of harmony and well-being. I led the third meditation class last night, and we had a good-sized group that was a nice mix of ages, genders and races. Riding home with my husband, I did experience those feelings of fulfillment, as if I was doing something I was meant to do that made me feel whole. I imagine it is the same contentment Granny and Mr. Jones share as they watch the sun slip beyond the horizon.

The other divination tool I'll be using this week is a Button Oracle I created, a collection of metal buttons with pictures or designs. This morning's choice is "CSA:"
separation, disconnection, termination
If there was no threat of separation, no death to shake us to our core, we probably wouldn't love much at all. ~ Donna Lynn Hope
In February 1861, the Confederate States of America was formed by eleven Southern states of the U.S. They seceded from the Union in an attempt to preserve slavery, states’ rights, and political liberty for whites. The resulting war lasted four years. It pitted family against family, claimed more than 625,000 lives, and ruined the South economically. I was born exactly one hundred years after the formation of the CSA; I can't imagine going to war against my countrymen and risking such destruction and heartache ever again. So what does this have to do with the tarot card above? I think it is the threat of separation, the realization that my ties and relationships are impermanent, that makes me appreciate and love them even more. 

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely couple. I Iike it that they are older. They've stayed together through thick and thin. (just like The lovers from the Anna K ) Every day we choose again for the relationships in our lives, perhaps not always conscious but still we do.
    I am glad your meditation class is giving you so much fulfillment. I think you are heading toward your grail for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the older couple too; he reminds me of Mr. Greenjeans from the old kid's show "Captain Kangaroo." :) Thank you for your ongoing encouragement!

      Delete