I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Loving Wastefully

From the Buckland Romani Tarot, Desh-ta-Dui (Twelve) or the Hanged Man:
Being an animal lover, this particular card is a bit of a gut-punch, because I know this rabbit is going to wind up in someone's stew. Yet sacrifice is an important part of the Hanged Man's meaning. It may mean finding your life suspended in some way, but also that you give up something for the greater good rather than for ego strokes. Former Episcopal Bishop John Spong has a phrase he uses often - "loving wastefully." It means that you don't pedantically measure out the compassion you share (hoping to get something in return), but you let it overflow the cup offered. Lately my life does feel a bit suspended, because there are people who need my care and support (and no, not in a codependent sort of way).  If I can indeed love them "wastefully," I think a deeper spring will keep my own cup filled too.

From the Lakota Sweat Lodge Cards comes "Luta - The North:"
The North is associated with winter and old age, and thus represents peace, wisdom and both beginnings and endings. I read a quote by Rabindranath Tagore this morning that seems appropriate to both of the cards drawn today: "Nirvana is not the blowing out of a candle. It is the extinguishing of the flame because day is come." Sacrificing my desires to help another doesn't mean I wind up with nothing, but the complete opposite. I end up with more than my heart and mind can even imagine.

4 comments:

  1. far better stew than some wicked child's torture focus. Man, how do people get so cruel so young?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. **shudder** My brain refuses to even go there this morning!

      Delete
  2. It seems to be a common theme for us: to give without expecting someting in return yet knowing and trusting our cup will be refilled
    I wish you strength for the coming week
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen. If I can just stay in the moment and do what is in front of me, I think I'll be okay. :)

      Delete