I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, April 4, 2014

Resting in an Aura of Love and Light

From the Deirdre of Sorrows Tarot, the Knight of Cups:
This Knight of Cups, who carries a stringed instrument on his back, has stopped to listen to the sound of the stream and enjoy the beauty of the lotus in bloom. What he's oblivious to is his pocket that has turned inside out, allowing his coins to spill out. He's probably singing along with the Kinks in his head, "I'm a lover, not a fighter," but what he surely isn't is practical or realistic. While it's nice to relax and dream while surrounded by a glowing aura of light and love, I still need to take care of my mundane duties.

From the Victorian Flower Oracle comes "Pansy:"
In Hamlet, Ophelia makes the remark, "There's pansies, that's for thoughts" In A Midsummer Night's Dream, Shakespeare refers to the wild pansy as "love-in-idleness." The pansy woman is likely dreaming of the knight above, who's fantasizing about who-knows-what. So what's the difference between positive thinking and wishful thinking? I imagine the distinction would be that the first would involve taking action, while with wishful thinking you could just sit on your bottom and sigh a lot. I'm beginning to think I'd better make a priority list and get moving as soon as possible.

2 comments:

  1. That todo list is what this knight is frightened of. For me it is if he is hesitant to cross that river. He wants to go on a quest and be a brave knight but he is procrastinating by admiring the flower.
    My garden is full with pansies. I love them and in particular the bright colors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm good at distracting myself with things that "seem" important. :) I love pansies too, but unfortunately our weather is usually too hot for them to last long.

      Delete