I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Check List

From the Transformational Tarot, the Lovers; from the Celtic Book of the Dead, the "Island of Plenteous Salmon:"
 Ando's Lovers card shows all the ways love is seen by humans - from deep, spiritual love, to lust, to intimacy and companionship. When I feel a hole in my life, it is easy to want to fill it with something, anything to make that void go away. I often don't look at how my choice may affect me later, I'm just fixated on feeling good now.
The Celtic voyagers came upon the Island of Plenteous Salmon when they were near death from starvation. Here they found an abundance of food and drink to satisfy them, yet they also found huge beds (large enough for three men) in which to sleep and rest their weary bodies. This combination of cards reminds me of an acronym in 12 Step programs - HALT. The letters in the word are a reminder not to get too hungry, angry, lonely or tired, or else unwise choices and decisions may be a result. Sounds like I need to check in with my body and heart before I do something I'll regret later.

5 comments:

  1. This is a wise attitude and a challenging one. Often we react automatically without thinking and letting our feelings and emotions take over the wheel without even realizing it. I like to breath to slow myself down and consider if this is what I want. There is always time to pause before acting or talking which costs probable less time then trying to fix things afterwards :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right - if I can pause instead of react to how I'm feeling physically or emotionally, I'm less likely to have a problem to fix later!

      Delete
  2. I'd never heard of that HALT acronym. It strikes me as very useful, and not just for alcoholics. I know I find it particularly hard to make good choices when I'm tired, which I always seem to be at the moment. Hope you managed to truly listen to yourself before making a bad choice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had I not drawn these cards, I think I would have made some bad choices!

      Delete
    2. It's so great when a reading is helpful in this way :)

      Delete