I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, February 5, 2016

A Mix of Clarity and Compassion

From the Jolanda Tarot, the Sun; from Bird Signs, Oriole:
          In this delightful version of the Sun, a moose holds up the great light. The word "moose" is derived from the Algonquin term moosu, meaning "he strips off" (likely a description of its velvety antler covering). It seems to parallel the meaning behind this card, that of uncovering reality by brightly shining light in the darkness. The roosters add to this card's "bright-eyed and wide-awake" message. The cockerels brought to mind the Buddhist term bodhicitta; bodhi means both awake and open, and citta refers to both heart and mind. It is not enough just to be open - one must have the clear seeing that goes along with it.
          The bright orange of Oriole pairs well with the Sun and has been given the keyword "compassion." Bodhicitta exists on two levels, unconditional and relative. Unconditional bodhicitta means without opinions attached; it is the clarity of perception. The second, relative bodhicitta, means I don't shut down or run away when I encounter suffering (my own or another person's). This is the softness and tenderness of genuine compassion. Compassion allows me to be present with pain, while clarity shows me the universality of it. Pema Chodron teaches that bodhicitta pushes us to answer the question, "Do I prefer to grow up and relate to life directly or do I choose to live and die in fear?"

4 comments:

  1. To live Life fully or die in fear. I think that is the same question I asked myself with the Two of Pentacles this morning. Your quote just said it much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chodron has a way of saying things that get right to the heart of the matter. :)

      Delete
  2. I have always loved my copy of the bird cards--glad to see them alive and chittering. Another great pairing this week Bev.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this deck too; the artwork is nice and the book gives some factual information (rather than something "channeled").

      Delete