I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Finishing and Waiting

From the Hoi Polloi Tarot, the World; from the I Ching Pack, Hexagram 5:
          The four heads in the corners of this card can alternately depict the fixed astrological signs or four of the apostles of Jesus. The fixed signs represent someone who is determined, persistent, confident and has the ability to maintain focus. Such a person has the ability to move patiently and steadily toward the goal; it makes sense that they would reach the wreath of completion. The four apostles (at least in Albrecht Dürer's painting), symbolize four temperaments or personality types: sanguine (optimistic and social), choleric (short-tempered or irritable), melancholic (analytical and quiet), and phlegmatic (relaxed and peaceful). I liken them to the suits of tarot; I usually need to call on each of them at some time or another to make progress.
          Hexagram 5 is made up of the two trigrams that represent Water over Dragon. The image they suggest is of a sleeping dragon waiting for the storm to break. The book cautions that this is a time for "resolute patience, conservation of energy and avoidance of all precipitate action." Now I admit, I have trouble in those gaps between finishing one project and starting another. I don't like to be bored. Often I jump into action before thinking and wind up in the middle of something I regret later. For a brief moment, I imagined the World's lass as a drummer in a clothes-optional band. Perhaps waiting patiently and calmly would be the better option.

2 comments:

  1. Action is called for if we are to get to the completion of The World. Finish one thing begin another. There are baby eagles in the nest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes a pause to think before I act is good. :)
      The eaglets are like little balls of fluff - so cute!

      Delete