I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Waters of Illusion

From the Roots of Asia Tarot, the Moon; from the Mah Jongg Oracle, Heaven:
Whoever moves from carelessness to vigilance,
Lights up the world like the moon that emerges from a cloud.
~ Dhammapada
          The Roots of Asia booklet describes this card as the waters of illusion and suggests a need for mindfulness. The Buddha referred to mindfulness as a gatekeeper, an objective tool that can help in recognizing and removing unskillful mind states. It allows me to see reality as it is rather than what my imagination creates. Hopeful expectations, apprehensive fears or simple denial are just alternative labels for craving, aversion and ignorance. These are the dark waters that keep me from seeing with clarity; they offer no protection from what is actually there. The rocks in the water appear to be alligators, but if viewed directly, they'll be seen for what they are. The Mah Jongg Heaven card indicates the end of a natural cycle that will be followed by the beginning of another. The organizer in me loves to finish a project or task, making sure to tie up loose ends. I experience a brief feeling of joyful accomplishment quickly followed by thoughts such as: "What do I do now? Will this last? How can I ever follow this up?" My mind is quick to lead me into shark-infested waters churning with emotion. Even though the danger feels real, mindfulness assures me it isn't. Might as well relax and float until I bump into something more concrete.

4 comments:

  1. your post made me cry today, well pinch out a tear anyway. Best get my meds down my throat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "What do I do now?" I wish I could say "Nothing" It feels like I am on the run for what is hidden in these dark waters. Desperately trying to find some distraction...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Relax and float in the "now" (yes, I know it's easy to say and hard to do!). (((E)))

      Delete