I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, November 14, 2016

Contained Enthusiasm

From Songs from the Journey Home Tarot, the Eighth Flame Song (8 of Wands); from the Raven Cards, Come to Rest:
          The Songs card shows a group of people doing a Maypole dance around a tree in bloom. The authors suggest this symbolizes the awakening of dormant energies, yet they caution that this energy should be used for one project rather than many. At first glance, the Raven Card appears out of sync; it seems to imply rest rather than action. When I'm full of ideas and enthusiasm, it's easy to be enamored with everything (the excitement of seeing it all from a bird's view). The raven suggests I ground myself - come down to earth - and 'let go.' First I must stop gliding from one thought to another and focus on detailed, concrete action. Then I need to let go of expectations, otherwise I'll lose my flexibility if plans need to be reconfigured. 'All or nothing' thinking is a sure way to sabotage any plan.

4 comments:

  1. I often get stuck in a all or nothing approach. It is not as compulsive as it used to be but still part of my innate nature, your Raven messenger is a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully I don't automatically go to an "all or nothing approach" when things don't work out as I expected. :) But when a lot of things don't work out, it's easy to backslide!

      Delete
  2. "easily enamoured"
    Another reason I have my three week rule.

    ReplyDelete