I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Keep On Keepin' On

From the Roots of Asia Tarot, the Three of Wands; from the Mah Jongg Oracle, the 'Fisherman:'
          Three lotus seeds have sprouted: one with its bud closed, one beginning to open and one if full bloom. The booklet describes this card as 'consciousness of experience;' in other words, we need to stay awake to what's happening. When we have that first bloom of success, whether in the field of work or a personal arena, its easy to focus only on that particular event. We forget that we need to nurture and sustain other seeds we've planted, because we're so thrilled with what has worked out in our favor. The 'pink cloud' effect may convince us that we have arrived and can now sit back and enjoy life. But when that bloom eventually fades, what will become of the others if we have neglected them? The Fisherman represents patience, a trait that most people associate with restraint. However it also includes the recognition that we're no more special or entitled than other people (Do they get to be complacent without consequences?) as well as endurance (persistent effort). As my mother-in-law used to say, "keep on keepin' on."

6 comments:

  1. Is that a bird at center bottom. Mind helping us open up new thoughts or actions?
    I could never fish, no patience and thinking about the hook, the worm, and the tender mouth of the fish. Nope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I'm not sure what that eye belongs to, I just saw it as a symbol of being conscious.
      When I was young and a part of a large family, we hunted and fished more for food than fun.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm on a track running next to yours, waving hello. :)

      Delete
  3. It's so true that we never just have one seed planted, just as that fisherman can't make a meal for his family with just one fish (at least, not one that size). I'd never thought about that in light of the Three of Wands before!
    I, too, kept seeing the bird at the bottom of the card. Needing to keep a clear eye on what's going on... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy after I've experienced some success to think "I've got this" and want to relax my focus and effort. I do need to keep a clear eye on things instead! :)

      Delete