I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, November 29, 2018

Connection and Protection

From the Cosmic Tarot, the Lovers; from the L'Oeil de Lotus, 'Protection:'
Every negative emotion, every drama, comes down to one or more of the three most basic fears: the fear of losing safety and control, the fear of aloneness and disconnection, and the fear of unworthiness. Ezra Bayda 

          We seek connection (Lovers) because we want protection (iron nails and salt). What or who do you turn to when life seems frightening, overwhelming and too much to bear? A young me wanted to prove John Donne wrong, that I could be an island. A middle-aged me wanted to surround myself with people who would never leave me. An older me realizes the insanity of both views; nothing is perfect or permanent. Stuff will happen that will make me sad, fearful and angry. But I can find people or things such as Buddhist teachings and the natural world to ground me. I can use them as my touchstones. I may not be able to avoid the uncertainties and challenges of life, but I can find ways to endure it when it gets hard.

7 comments:

  1. knowing that nothing is perfect is a gift to ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, and why I no longer expect humans to be my anchor in every storm.

      Delete
  2. We are meant to be social creatures. The trick is to see the light in ourselves and then know the same light is in others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I gave up on being an island decades ago, the bit about expecting others not to leave is one I've been working on this year - funny how elderly parents do that for you...
    Hope you find connection that is nurturing for you today, Bev :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, it's so good to hear from you Chloe! I've missed your posts.
      The hurricane and its aftermath here have driven home a need for me to maintain several connections - some spiritual and some with skin!

      Delete
    2. Yes, natural disasters can have the positive effect of making what's important more foreground. Hope you and yours are safe:)

      Delete