I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, December 23, 2018

Dented Crown

This week I'll be working with the Mythic Tarot, created by Juliet Sharman-Burke and Liz Greene, illustrated by Tricia Newell, and published by Simon and Schuster. The oracle I'll be using is the Symbolon Deck created by Peter Orban, Ingrid Zinnel and Thea Weller and published by AG Muller. Today's draws are the Six of Swords and 'The Ego:'
          Orestes is shown in a boat heading back to his home, Argos. He was secreted away as an infant when his mother and her lover killed his father who was king. He avenged his father's death but was haunted by the Furies (for committing matricide) until Apollo intervened and acquitted him. I am reminded of the phrase, "Wherever you go, there you are." I may try to blame my unhappiness on the people and circumstances of life, but the real root of my suffering lies in the beliefs and stories I refuse to let go of. There is no way to find peace in my world if I can't find it in myself first. The Ego (Sun in Leo) often gets a bad rap; if I have a healthy perception of myself, I will have confidence enough to act, allowing me to make progress. If however, I become the focal point in my world, that same confidence can lead to an attitude of entitlement that doesn't consider the lives of anyone else. Then like Orestes, I may find that my 'great' ideas and actions have not brought me peace but more madness. A few deep connections with people can act as a ballast; they can snatch that crown off my ego's head before it acts on any grandiose ideas.

4 comments:

  1. not brought me peace but more madness. Been there done that...
    "it is a process" Billy Wilder, Analyze That

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a file cabinet full of my own examples. It is a process indeed!

      Delete
  2. "There is nothing to do and nowhere to to.
    Accepting this, we can do everything and go anywhere."
    -The Tao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To know how much to fill the cup, without over or under filling it, is wisdom.

      Delete