I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, April 12, 2019

Dual Nature

From the Fey Tarot, the Seven of Swords; from the I Misteri della Sibilla, the Six of Spades:
The shore has a dual nature, changing with the swing of the tides,
belonging now to the land, now to the sea. ~Rachel Carson 

          Like this half solid, half translucent fey, we all have the same dual nature as Carson's shore. There's a part of us that thinks we are basically good, but there's also an often hidden part that thinks we're entitled to much more (like always being right, or sticking it to someone we consider an ass). We would do best to heed the words of Dwight Morrow: "Remember, that we are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others by their acts." If we had someone recording all of our thoughts, words and actions each day, would it be as easy to rationalize how we behaved when replayed each night? 
          The Six of Spades has been given the keyword 'sighs,' the kind caused by the anguish of waiting. Impatience is another way that can tempt our entitled self out of the closet. That kind of thinking means we believe we deserve to wait less than anyone else. Perhaps both fey and human would do well to sigh about what is beautiful instead of worrying about boxes to tick off.



4 comments:

  1. I spend a lot of my time, spent a lot of my life berating myself for my most stupid hated part of me. Not a clue how to change the hate, or fix the behavior. Humans...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we can ever get rid of it, but we can perhaps be aware of it and think beyond it.

      Delete
  2. I put the worry down and the hate to the side, and then pick it back up again. Though every time I put them down they are just a bit lighter when I pick them back up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean - it's like a gradual process.

      Delete