I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Focus on the Solution

 From the Cosmic Tarot, the Seven of Pentacles; from the L'Oeil de Lotus, Conflict:


Try again. Fail again. Fail better. —Samuel Beckett

          I've tried to grow an assortment of flowers, herbs, and vegetables over the years, so I understand the frustration and despair of this young man. All of his hard work has been for naught. So what does Beckett mean when he suggests we should 'fail better'? In my case, it means I need to investigate what went wrong and educate myself on how I might prevent it from happening again. Each time things go awry gives me an opportunity to learn. But the Conflict card brings up what often happens when a project or task involves others. Failure can create a trigger response of blaming the other for any unhappy result. But sometimes, even when people do their best, things don't work out. As Catherine Pulsifer explained, "Blaming does not solve a problem; it usually only makes people defensive." 

2 comments:

  1. Nothing is a total loss. There are lessons learned. Take your soil to a local college or extension center and have them test the sample for what the soil is missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem wasn't the soil, but what I was trying to grow - plants that didn't care for our climate. :D

      Delete