I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Like Food and Shelter

From the Llewellyn Tarot, the Three of Cups; from the Beasts of Albion, Owl:

There are friends, there is family and then there are friends that become family.
~Unknown

I just cannot imagine my life without friends - they rank right up there with food and shelter. Probably because they feed my spirit and provide a safe haven for my heart when life is buffeting me about. My friends are not a multitude, but a small group, and several live far away. They listen, offer wise feedback, remind me how to laugh, and stand by me when I'm afraid or uncertain. There are not enough 'thank yous' in the world to repay them for their unfaltering faithfulness. In Celtic legend of the Quest for Olwen, the Owl was sought for help as he was considered one of the oldest and wisest of beasts (others being the stag, blackbird, salmon and eagle). What would Owl say about friendship? Since an owl's body can't digest fur, bones, or teeth, it coughs up pellets formed from these. Owl would advise me that holding on to resentments is as harmful as refusing to expel a pellet. How many deep relationships might I have missed out on because I was so sensitive and took things personally?

4 comments:

  1. A question i ask myself as well. How many? Still I am grateful for the ones I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three of Cups was my draw for today, so I was particularly interested in your interpretation. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only time this card made me sad to draw was when we were a hotspot at the height of the pandemic. That really brought home the value of friends!

      Delete