I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, March 11, 2022

Master or Minion

From the Nigel Jackson Tarot, Fortitude; from the Viking Lenormand, the Child:

The dictionary defines Fortitude as the "strength of mind that enables a person to encounter danger or bear pain or adversity." It is a bit like emotional temperance. Controlled anger or fear can give me the courage or incentive to take the action that is needed rather than hide or fly into a rage. But it takes a lot of work to manage those emotions, becoming their master rather than their minion. Without management, I lose all clarity and fail to understand what would be most beneficial; I attempt only to make those uncomfortable feelings go away. The Child suggests simplicity - I don't have to complicate things by over-analyzing them. As Pema Chodron encourages, "Feel the feelings and drop the story." It's my story about things - my opinionated judgment - that causes my distress and clouds the issue. Rather than react to that energy, I can attend to its physical sensations as it passes through my body and dissipates. I can become the curious child who watches rather than the expert.

No comments:

Post a Comment