I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, July 2, 2022

Influences and Imprints

From the Tarot of the Masters, the Moon; from the Key to the Kingdom, the Seven of Diamonds:


The inlet and the sea beyond in this Moon card remind me that our subconscious is not only affected by our personal experiences but also influenced by the culture and the lands of our ancestors. These are embedded within us, imprinted on our spirits, as the Dineh (Navajo) chant indicates:

The mountains, I become part of it.
The herbs, the fir tree
I become part of it.
The morning mists, the clouds, the gathering waters,
I become part of it.
The sun that sweeps across the earth,
I become part of it.
The wilderness, the dew drops, the pollen
I become part of it.

Yet the pipes and the jack-a-dandy verse used for the Seven of Diamonds suggest that not all we carry is beneficial for our world or for us. I imagine a jack-a-dandy as an arrogant fellow concerned only with his appearance, sitting around in a men's club and spending time in intellectual discussions that serve no one but himself. These two cards remind me to take my feelings and opinions out of the intellectual world and compare them to the grit of the real world. I might find some of them are no longer relevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment