I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, October 9, 2022

Wide Open

This week I'll be using the Badgers Forest Tarot, a deck created and self-published by Nakisha VanderHoeven. Along with it, I'll be using my Gemstone Oracle (with actual stones). Today's draws are the Kit (Page) of Cups and Sunstone:

Anticipate the day as if it was your birthday, and you are turning six again.
~ Michael Dolan

At what age do we cease to keep our heart open and armor it instead? Pema Chodron tells the story of herself as a young girl, feeling angry, unloved and lonely, kicking whatever she encountered. An elderly woman saw her and said, "Little girl, don't you go letting life harden your heart." Both Chodron and this Page of Cups would tell us that we can constrict our heart, becoming more resentful and afraid. Or, we can let our experience soften us, keeping our heart open and tender, developing kindness and compassion (for ourselves and others). Sunstone suggests we look for the joy and beauty inherent in life and cease taking everything so seriously. The Page would encourage us to stop looking at the sky through a straw - there's much more space and other possibilities than what we're currently seeing. 


2 comments:

  1. taking umbrage at being defined as too sensitive as a teen, I spent the next 30 years being a hardnose. Now I'm working on being something between. At the very least, nicer to myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my friend! You have been greatly missed. I too thought I could learn to be emotionally impenetrable as a kid, but that didn't work out too well and now I'm trying to undo some bad habits. Hope you are doing well!

      Delete