I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, October 5, 2023

A Game of Cards

From the Ship of Fools Tarot, the Nine of Coins; from the Wisdom of the Four Winds, Penguin:
Life is like a game of cards. The hand you are dealt is determinism; the way you play it is free will. ~Jawaharlal Nehru

This group of fools has enough gold coins in their leather pouches to take some time off for a friendly poker game. Some folks don't know how to manage their money and overspend, while others are tightfisted and rarely splurge on anything that's not a necessity. I was raised by grandparents who lived through the Depression, then later had a stepfather whose financial missteps kept us living a hand-to-mouth existence. I tend to be frugal with my money and often don't allow myself many purchases for pleasure; my mind insists that poverty could be just around the corner. Yet Penguin - an aquatic, flightless bird - arrives to encourage me to have faith and expand my perspective. I don't have to throw away my past experience, but neither do I need to let it rule me. I can be prudent and still allow myself a few pleasures too.

No comments:

Post a Comment