I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, October 1, 2023

Skillful Practice

This week I'll be using the Ship of Fools Tarot created by Brian Williams and published by Llewellyn. Paired with it will be the Wisdom of the Four Winds created by Barry Brailsford, illustrated by Cecilie Okada and published by StonePrint Press. Today's draws are the King of Cups and Albatross:

We need to be aware of what we are practicing in any moment. Because whatever we practice, we get better at, whether it’s the skillful or the unskillful.
―Christina Feldman

This kind and generous King appears to be offering his cup to the fool. What will he do if the fool steals the cup or throws it on the ground? Will he seek to punish him or vow never to be benevolent to commoners again? Humans are easily provoked for a number of reasons, but especially when a kindness is returned with spite or insolence. Yet this King has trained in maintaining his composure and compassion, regardless of the circumstances. He knows rage and bitterness have no beneficial results and will only destroy his equanimity. The Albatross, after spending a year riding the ocean winds, will return to his island to find his mate. In the same way, our aspirations can be our compass, returning us to our center so that we don't allow emotional drama to throw us off course.

Let my heart turn to practice.
Let practice become a path.
Let this path dissolve confusion. Let confusion become wisdom.
~Gampopa

3 comments:

  1. Your tarot draw today reinforces mine yesterday, when the Justice card reminded me that Karmic payback is not only about words and actions, but responds to thoughts as well -- and I need to be aware of mine and not let them carry me away, perhaps creating moments I wouldn't choose if I was on the ball. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I have that bull on a leash and it's dragging me along, sometimes I forget I can just let go.

      Delete
    2. Stubblejumpers CafeOctober 2, 2023 at 2:14 PM

      That's a helpful image!

      Delete