I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Unattached

From the Middle Way Arcana, the Chariot; from the Vertical Oracle, Ritual:

The Great Way is not difficult for those who are unattached to their preferences.
~Seng-ts’an

Any progress can be stymied by what the Buddhists call the Three Poisons. Craving (rooster) is the obsessive desire for something we are sure will bring us happiness. Hatred (snake) is rage aimed as something we think is preventing our happiness. Delusion (pig) is refusing to see reality clearly because we prefer our own version. Skillful choices and actions require that we recognize when we're under the influence of these poisons and turn from them. Ritual is a set of specific actions that remind us of what is important and essential. These practices keep our mind focused on our purpose rather than being distracted by things that have nothing to do with the direction we're headed. 

5 comments:

  1. I like what you've said about ritual. It's so true. And I have a heck of a time trying to stick to those I create for myself. But they do me so much good! They're centering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are for me as well. I don't know why, when life gets hectic, that I drop the things that are most helpful!

      Delete
    2. Yes! I do that as well! and when things are going really well while I'm busy and active, I forget all about the rituals that help me so much. It's when I'm struggling that I go to the rituals most, probably because they make me feel I'm doing *something* when otherwise I feel helpless.

      Delete
  2. I think I have fallen prey to the Natural History rooster.

    ReplyDelete