I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Just Walk Away

From the Albano Waite Tarot, the Five of Swords:
Maybe it's just age, but I don't care much about intellectual swordplay anymore.  I don't mean the kind where you actually discuss something with someone (and where both people learn), but the type where opinions are debated.  It seems like a waste of oxygen and time.  Recently I learned about a group of atheists, agnostics and freethinkers in my area; the group was started because it would give these folks a social outlet and help them organize efforts to benefit the community in various ways.  Being a freethinker with an agnostic husband, I thought this was a great idea.  We met up with the group at a cookout, and thought they were all nice folks.  But on all their websites, t-shirts and advertisements, they only use the term "atheist."  I suggested this might draw a line in the sand for some who didn't identify themselves as such, and asked if they might change their name to include the others who didn't fit in that box.  Their reply was that they had already spent money on ads and logos, so that wasn't an option.  I didn't argue; like the folks with their backs turned, I laid down my sword and refused to fight.

From the Rumi Cards comes the verse "Invisible Angels:"
The more you strive to reach the place of Splendor,
The more the invisible Angels will help you.
I was on the phone yesterday to a friend who called with her usual litany of complaints about how lonely she was and how awful her life was.  It is the same conversation I've had with her for years, and I told her the same thing I always do: "If you want something to change, you're going to have to be the one to do it."  This card reminds me that if I'm unhappy, I'm the one who is going to have to do something different.  The world is not going to mold itself to meet my demands.


2 comments:

  1. After posting my post I came straight to your blog. After reading about the group I was immediately on my high-horse with all sort of judgements about the group...

    Sometimes I think I'll never be a better person.
    But tomorrow is another card, another chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but there's the difference between you and many others. You might have the emotional reaction (I did the same), but you pause long enough to realize the value in not airing your opinions. Most people would have already written pages and pages, never seeing the irony. :D

      Delete