I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Watching from Thrones and Sycamores

This week I'll be using the Albano Waite Tarot, a recolored version of the RWS created by Frankie Albano and published by U.S. Games.  Today's card is the Emperor:
The first two things I immediately notice about this emperor is the armor he wears under his kingly cloak and the abundance of rams' heads on his chiseled throne.  The armor and cloak tell me this is a man who has multiple roles - at times he is a ruler, adviser, and diplomat, while other circumstances may require him to be a protector or conquering victor.  An impulsive knight would not have the maturity to stop and think before acting.  But the Emperor's ram symbolizes his bold confidence; he'll wait to see the big picture instead of reacting with fear or anger.  He is as grounded in reality as the rock from which his chair was made, and he encourages me to watch and listen carefully before making assumptions.  I may spot a "tell" that lets me know someone is trying to bluff me into taking an action I don't need to make. 

The oracle deck I'll be using this week is the Rumi Cards, created by Eryk Hanut and Michelle Wetherbee and published by Tuttle Publishing.  This morning's draw is "Hidden Way:"
If you know how to be patient,
He'll offer you the seat of honor;
He'll show you a hidden way that no one will know.
I have a window where I sit at the computer that overlooks a large bird feeder.  I put a mix of shelled sunflower seeds, peanuts and pumpkin seeds in it, and all year long there is a steady stream of a variety of birds.  For several months now, I've had a white-breasted nuthatch that has been coming to eat.  Unlike the jays, house finches, and other birds who constantly flutter around trying to force open a space, he waits patiently in the sycamore tree watching.  When a noise or something else scares off the mob, he swoops down and chooses the particular seed he wants (almost always a peanut).  Rumi reminds me that usually other options will open up if I can wait patiently - alternatives that may be much more appealing than choosing between a rock and a hard place.

2 comments:

  1. Nuthatches are Rob's favorite feeder bird.
    He replies to them with the Three Stooges nuck-nuck-nuck...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny. :) The chickadees and nuthatches are two of my most favorites.

      Delete