I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

To Boldly Go

From the Daughters of the Moon Tarot, the Priestess:
Morgan uses the Egyptian goddess Isis to depict the High Priestess. When I think of Isis, I recall the myth of her husband Osiris being killed by Set. Pieces of the body of Osiris were scattered far and wide, but Isis managed to gather them and put her husband back together again. The Priestess encourages me to find my missing pieces too. In the stillness of meditation, I can sink below my ego until all the labels of "me" and "mine" dissolve. There I get a clearer picture of reality, as if someone cleaned a dirty window with Windex, and suddenly the bright sunlight comes through. The full moon Isis holds is a promise of wholeness if I'll commit to doing the work.

From the Raven Cards comes "Frontier:"
Taste the frontier. Wander along the boundary fence and feel its special energy.
When you have had enough, just go back.
Meditation reminds me of the Starship Enterprise - it allows me to "boldly go where no man has gone before." It isn't what I would call fun and requires discipline, but I think the deeper reason most people don't care for it is that it shows the transience of all the people and things in this physical world, and that understanding can be both frightening and comforting. But like this card tells me, I can venture into the unknown and come back again. Little steps, one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment