I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, May 24, 2013

Become Nothing, Attain Everything

From the Albano Waite Tarot, the Six of Wands:
What jumps out at me in this card is the color orange (a marriage of yellow - intellect - with red - passion).  But this successful leader didn't just rely on his intelligence and enthusiasm; he has others to thank for his victory too.  Sixes speak of a return to harmony after a struggle, and in my life I usually have the support of people who are willing to lend me a hand.  I've found that staying connected to folks who are grounded can be an anchor for me when I'm being tossed about by stormy waves.  They remind me of what is real and what is pure speculation.  Eventually the sea will calm and I can sail on, but I know most of my achievements have their roots in these "anchors."

From the Rumi Cards comes the verse "Become Nothing:"
You want everything to be yours?
Become nothing to yourself and all things.
Rumi reminds me that focusing only on the outcome I want rather than the effort needed to get there is usually a disaster in the making.  My attachment leads to suffering: Will I get what I desire?  What if I get it then lose it again?  It's like the anecdote about trapping the monkey - the monkey reaches in a jar to grab a treat but won't let go of it in order to get his hand out, allowing him to be captured.  True detachment comes when I can hold on to the enthusiasm of the effort itself without the need to prove or attain something.


No comments:

Post a Comment