I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Fire and Rain

From the Albano Waite Tarot, the Knight of Wands:
With his flowing red cloak and feathery red plume, this knight looks like a ball of fire.  An appropriate observation since this guy might as well be dubbed "the passionate one."  Passion has produced some of the greatest art and music, carried weary people through times of trials to success, forged some of the strongest relationships, and inspired those who have led much-needed reforms.  It is a great thing when used mindfully, but its fires may also be unintentionally destructive.  Friends, family, pets and other obligations may be neglected due to my intense focus and drive.  As I concentrate exclusively on my goal, I develop tunnel vision, oblivious to whatever else going on around me.  This knight encourages my passion, but also warns me not to ignore other important facets of my life.

From the Rumi Cards comes the verse "Divine Calendar:"
You are the divine calendar where all destinies are written;
the ocean of mercy where all faults are washed clean.
I've been clearing brush and vines like a mad woman for the past few days in preparation for the guys coming to remove the fallen and sick trees in the yard.  It's been dry, hot and dusty, and I'm quite congested as a result.  But late yesterday, we had a light rain shower that settled the dust and washed all the plants clean.  I wish there were a special day designated each week where everyone would say "All is forgiven," clearing away all the pain and hurt incurred.  Not in a naive way that didn't require change and amends, but in a way that let our hearts heal and open again.  In order for me to be merciful to others, the first person on my list would have to be myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment