I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

My New Friend, Reality

From the Legacy of the Divine, the Four of Cups:
“As long as you have certain desires about how it ought to be you can't see how it is.” ~ Ram Dass
This card is a slight twist to most Four of Cups; instead of ignoring the cups around him, he's focused solely on one.  Lately I've felt like I'm walking around with no skin  on - raw and exposed. Like this guy, I've been trying not to notice those other cups because they are filled with things that are frightening. They are the emotional monsters that wake me up in the middle of the night, cause my heart to pound and breathing to constrict. Of course this game I'm playing is a bit like Whac-a-Mole, as the fear never really goes away. The only solution I've found so far are my daily, early morning walks. Each footstep seems to chant Ram Dass's mantra, "Be here now."

“I am a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality.” ~ Byron Katie
People new to the philosophy of 12 Step programs generally think of giving up when the topic of acceptance is raised. But what it actually involves is seeing with clarity what can and can't be controlled in my life. If I can do something I do it; if not, I don't. I heard a woman the other day use the phrase "snuggle instead of struggle." Of course my initial thought when I heard that was not a polite one, but sometimes you hear what you need instead of what want. It's time to cease fighting and wrestling with reality and instead get to know it a little better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment