I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Whispers of Wisdom

From the Granny Jones Australian Tarot, the High Priestess; from the Button Oracle, the German Shepherd:
          It appears Granny has all her spiritual tools in play - from her cards, runes and crystal ball to her occult books and familiars. Intuitive knowledge is a funny thing; the harder you try to grasp it on an intellectual level, the further away it seems to move. I think there are many tools besides those of divination that help the mind to relax and intuitive information to trickle through. But being such a visual person, nothing beats the cards for me. The German Shepherd Button has been given the keywords investigation and detection, because this breed is so widely used in search and rescue as well as drug and explosives detection. In pairing this meaning with the High Priestess, I'm reminded that science has shown that intuition often errs. Though we do 'know more than we know,' we are still vulnerable to false memories, misjudgments of reality and the inability to predict our own behavior. So as the Buddha said, "Make a proper investigation first." Take the intuitive knowledge as one facet of available information, but check out what's in the real world too.
 Scientists who expose intuition's flaws note that it works well in some areas, but needs restraints and checks in others...we can therefore think smarter, even while listening to the creative whispers of our unseen mind. ~ David G. Meyers

6 comments:

  1. As always balance is everything. Maybe that's why I hesitate to read for other people who's situation I am not familiar with. I might mirror to much of my own issues into the cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe intuition is valid, but not infallible! :)

      Delete
  2. lovely post, thank you. If we seek balance, it will be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading academic research on tacit knowledge - of course as soon as it is intellectualised it is no longer tacit....and then a fair few scientific breakthroughs have begun with an intuitive or creative leap of imagination followed up with rigorous empirical investigation. Ooh I feel like brewing a pot of tea, lighting the wood burner and settling down for a whole evening of conversation with you....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had too many intuitive moments that inspired creativity or kept me safe to discount them. But I've also 'felt' something to be true that wasn't. I need a meter for measuring what is truth or fiction. Come on over - it's just a short jump across the pond. :) I'll put the kettle on!

      Delete