I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, September 29, 2017

Generosity of the Heart

From the Da Vinci Enigma Tarot, the Lord of Fire (King of Wands); from the Insectorum Divinorum, the Hive:
How are your magnanimity and courage needed?
            This sketch is a study of St. Bartholomew for the The Last Supper. Those who describe the painting say Bartholomew wears an expression of surprise and concern as he hears Jesus predict his betrayal. The dimmi asks about magnanimity - a refusal to be petty and mean while embracing a noble generosity. Would this include forgiveness for the terrible deed that was about to occur? I think so, though it would also require courage. In my experience, anger feels much more powerful, while forgiveness can leave one feeling tender and vulnerable. The Hive represents actions of greater good that benefit the whole rather than a few. Generosity of the heart would apply; nothing tears a group apart like rehashed anger. Yet it is possible to hold people accountable for their actions while not putting them out of one's heart. 
He is not prone to marvel or to remember evils, since it is proper to a magnanimous person not to nurse memories, especially not of evils, but to overlook them. ~ Aristotle

8 comments:

  1. I find righteous anger feels magnificently powerful for all of five minutes...then the shock of being so uncontained kicks in and I'm a shivering wreck for days. Not worth it although I still yield to it sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I can be both magnanimous and courageous at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magnanimity, not a character trait that comes naturally to me but certainly worth it to strive for. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of it, but had to look it up to make sure I actually knew what it meant.

      Delete
  4. Not all hives can be a support system; kind of like in the Fall when lots or worker bees I banished from the hive. If I were a bee I am not certain I would be magnanimous facing death for the good of whole, definitely not courageous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's why they swarm and start a new hive with a new queen.

      Delete