I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, September 30, 2017

Whose Rules?

From the Da Vinci Enigma Tarot, the Emperor; from the Insectorum Divinorum, the Swarm:
Where is the authority in your life?
What are the boundaries of safety and order?
          This sketch of a man in a helmet leaves the impression of someone who is stern and refuses to give foolishness an audience. The questions above raise an interesting question about where I stake my flag when it comes to allegiance and boundaries. My guidance and structure comes mostly from two philosophies - Buddhism and the principles behind 12 Step programs. From the first, I see the need to develop wisdom and compassion while trying to alleviate the suffering of others. From the second, I understand the importance of honesty, open-mindedness and willingness (to do the work) in my life. Yet the Swarm card implies a herd mentality - collective beliefs that may appear as wisdom but is just the opposite. Though I may follow a set of philosophies, I still need to retain my ability to think independently and with clarity. Otherwise, I'm just a lemming following the crowd off a cliff. 


2 comments:

  1. Wise words. Once we become set in our own way of thinking we should get pimple on our nose which only disappears when we set ourselves free again ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or our ears could grow out like an elephant's until we were willing to listen.😁

      Delete