I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, September 22, 2017

Dangerous Travel

From the Granny Jones Australian Tarot, the Page of Wands; from the Button Oracle, Arjuna:
          This happy reporter reminded me of a friend who worked for the Associated Press. He often followed stories and events overseas and to dangerous places, but his spirit of adventure, determination and daring never gave him pause. But what is it's not danger but a moral dilemma that stops him short? The Arjuna Button is based on an archer who was reluctant to take part in battle, because he knew he would be expected to potentially kill many of his own relatives. A dialogue with Lord Krishna ensued about issues related to the war — courage, a warrior’s duty, the nature of human life, and yogic ideals — that form the pages of the Bhagavad Gita. I had my own dilemma recently at a get-together where someone brought a game called Cards Against Humanity (similar to the game Apples to Apples, but very politically and socially incorrect). There was not a single group which this game did not make fun of (even sick kids!!). I finally got up and told everyone that I couldn't play this game because it went against every value I held. Of course many replied that it wasn't supposed to be serious, but all in jest. But to me that felt like telling an ethnic joke when your ethnic friend isn't around to hear it. There are some dangerous places for the heart to which I refuse to travel.
It is an archetypical moral dilemma - Do you act like yourself and risk becoming an outcast?
~ Jodi Picoult

10 comments:

  1. I think that was a brave thing to do. The easy way was to play along for the sake of getting along, Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have offended some folks, but there are some lines I just don't want to cross!

      Delete
  2. Your Page looks like The Fool in the day to day of living. He obviously is enjoying his journey. Have a fun day on wherever your path takes you today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does look he's enjoying his journey. Hope your day turns out to be just as enjoyable!

      Delete
  3. I've learned when someone says to me "can't you take a joke" whatever action or words that had occurred were meant to hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Funny how those same people can't take a joke when the joke is about them.

      Delete
  4. One minute you're playing a jolly game for fun, and the next thing you are pelting Jews in the street with tomatoes. I'm a firm believer in that you become what you hang around, you absorb good and bad influences.

    I bought a Wayang Golek puppet off eBay once that was supposed to be Arjuna but instead was the winged Gatotkaca. Then I bought several books on these puppets, two books on Hindu mythology, a translation of the Bhagavad Gita, the Gita Deck, and the Tarot Wayang. Now THAT was a good influence.

    You become what you think about--thought are things. (A Wayne Dyer saying I think.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally in agreement with you. When I spoke up (about what I considered a racist phrase), a young man said "Well I wouldn't have played that card if a black person was here." But my reply was, "How does that make it okay now!?"

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a difficult situation to be put in, and a very unpleasant game.
    It's funny, my mum and I had a conversation the other day that included some of this: the importance or otherwise of fitting in and following social mores. When it's just what clothes to wear, it's one thing to compromise, but when it's deep-held beliefs, it's quite another!
    All in all, it's tough to stand up against social pressure - good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The game is horrid; I felt the need to Clorox my brain afterward. In this case, it was less difficult to say something than to just sit there and keep playing.

      Delete