I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Don't Look Away

From the Buckland Romani Tarot, the Five of Bolers (Wheels/Coins); from the Lakota Sweat Lodge Cards, Yum (Whirlwind):
          Even the pronunciation of the word 'destitute sounds hard and abrasive. The unemployed, the disabled (mental or physical) and the addicted seem to be found everywhere these days, holding signs that ask for food or money. Most I can easily ignore - except when they have kids with them. Sure, maybe it is just a con to rake in more money, but it's hard to overlook those little faces. It reminds me there are lots of reasons to be desperate that don't always have to do with money. Whirlwind represents that rush of tenderness and love we can suddenly feel for others, like when watching the news and seeing the losses caused by floods or tornadoes. It can be overwhelming to observe, whether that devastation appears on a street corner holding a sign or standing in front of what used to be their home. I am reminded by these cards that ignoring the problem does not make the problem go away. I can't solve these issues, but I can do small acts of kindness such as give a donation to the Red Cross, buy someone a meal or support legislation that will provide better mental health services for veterans, addicts and those with mental illnesses. Above all, simply acknowledging their existence goes a long way.

6 comments:

  1. We can only change the world by changing ourselves. Acknowledgement of a destitute sitatutiomn and acts of kindess and compassion are a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so easy to turn from all the hardships that so many face. I think it is the big lesson most of us are here to learn. Compassion and love without boundaries. I going to need several lifetimes with this lesson, maybe more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is the sense of being overwhelmed and helpless that causes most of us to look away.

      Delete
  3. So many of the corner people are smoking. I can't afford to smoke, why should I enable their habit? And they get POed if you give them food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can offer, but I can't do anything if they don't accept the gift. I've heard people say they've offered jobs to those who were holding signs and they got rejected. I think those who are truly desperate are the ones who don't turn down gifts of any kind.

      Delete