I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, October 26, 2017

Where Are My Feet?

From the Golden Tarot, the Eight of Cups; from the Yantra Deck, 'Focus:'
          What happens when - back in the Seven of Cups - we make the wrong choice? Perhaps it was a new, lucrative job, an exciting relationship or a radical spiritual path we were sure would bring us bliss. In the past, I would do battle in an attempt to get my expectations met. My goal was to change reality in order to find the fulfillment I sought. I was sure that if things were done my way, then all would be well (stubbornness can keep a cycle going long past its expiration date). Age and maturity eventually gave me a new perspective; in the words of Bill Wilson, "we have ceased fighting, anything or anyone." I've learned two things from such situations: the root of the problem often lies within me, and if I want change, I need to do something different. The Focus yantra implies concentrated awareness. When things don't work out, it's tempting to keep looking over my shoulder at the past. Yet if I do, I won't be aware of where my feet are or the direction they're headed.
Make the Now the primary focus of your life. ~ Eckhart Tolle


6 comments:

  1. When something didn't work out the way I hoped they would, I often saw this as something I did wrong: not being good enough or work hard enough. So I always had to do better. Several burnouts and depression were the result. Why do we always have to learn these important lessons the hard way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it is part of the nature of being human (the hard part). :)

      Delete
  2. I was paralytically shy when I was younger, I'd usually go along to get along, while gritting my teeth. Fortunately I got over it. Still haven't got over my way or the highway. Just as much a wrong as going along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done both of those extremes at one time or another, yet never got in satisfaction from either.

      Delete
  3. That Focus Card makes me think of a Rubic Cube. Best not to get held up on our way by a toy, or think we are the Master of Universe because we can solve the problem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does resemble one! :) I suppose the distracting colors are another way of saying to stay focused.

      Delete