I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, October 9, 2017

Polishing the Lens

From the Urban Tarot, the Queen of Cups; from the Principles to Live By, Discernment:
          A grandmotherly therapist listens patiently and jots down notes as her client speaks. Scott describes her as a comforting person who accepts others without judgment. This Queen is the still surface of a pond which reflects back to the person what is in his or her heart and head. She is empathetic - able to relate to and understand another person's emotions. Yet there's a huge difference in "relating to" and "drowning in." While she's willing to get her feet wet, she knows she needs to have boundaries in place. The Discernment tile suggest being able to see clearly and objectively. If I am emotionally entangled in another person's drama, it colors how I see everything. It's like wearing a pair of glasses with red lens; no matter what I look at, I will perceive it in red tones. To be be able to support and encourage another person, I must first check the clarity of the lens I'm looking through.
Seeing reality for what it is is what we call discernment... Reality is always 
deucedly complicated; any human situation has far more to it than first meets
anybody's eye. No one has twenty-twenty discernment. This is why we need
other people to tell us what they see in the same chunk of reality that we are
looking at. ~ Lewis B. Smedes   

5 comments:

  1. "a pair of glasses with red lens" This describes it so perfectly I thought that some people were waving there drama at me like a red cape of a toreador but instead I have to change my glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be so easy to get caught up in the emotions of others, particularly those I care about or those who seem to need an advocate.

      Delete
  2. That's the gist of it isn't with discernment. All of glasses are tinted by the lives we live, all by our parents, who passed down what their lives were apart. It takes serene Queen to help us sometimes.

    ReplyDelete