I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Emotional Demonstration

From the Tarot de St. Croix, the Queen of Cups; from the Archetype Cards, the 'Teacher:'
          St. Croix explains that this Queen accepts the flow of emotions, whatever they may be, and embraces them as Rumi describes in his poem "The Guest House." She quotes her friend who was the model for this card: "the more we say yes to our feelings and stay with them, the easier it is to digest them and be authentically in the moment with what is." I have much to learn in this area; while I freely receive many emotions, the grief of deep loss is one I build a wall around. I can't remember the last time I cried without holding back. That feeling of vulnerability scares the hell out of me, yet I know that I must open the door to it if I want to process this emotion in a healthy way. The Teacher archetype doesn't just explain knowledge, she demonstrates it too. She's the type that will take you out of the classroom to learn, the one who won't just lecture but will create models to help with understanding. The Queen of Cups is such a teacher, as she is a role model for showing how to welcome emotions, be curious about all their nuances, and then release them. Obviously, I've got a lot to learn.
...still treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.
~ Rumi


10 comments:

  1. "That feeling of vulnerability scares the hell out of me" Like you I don't cry easily. I guess I am afraid to drown...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel like falling down a well that I can't climb out of.

      Delete
  2. Both gals have cups they are filling up. Sometimes we fill them with joy and sometime tears.
    I used to be a hard nut to crack, now I cry all the time, most of the time is a Hallmark moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being able to keep your heart open no matter what is a gift.

      Delete
  3. I, too, have had trouble with the fear of drowning in my tears. I've found tapping really helpful in that regard: it keeps emotions moving and helps process them, so that I don't get stuck in that place. I see it as a way to be with the emotion, while having something physical to help keep my focus in the moment, and move things forward - a real blessing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think keying into the physical is a real help during emotional surges. I'm trying to do as Buddhist psychologists suggests, which is focus on the physical sensations of the emotion rather than the story the emotion revolves around. I hope your new endeavor is doing well my friend!

      Delete
    2. I have real trouble keying in to the physical sensations of emotions. Perhaps one reason why tapping suits me well. I think it's too many years of repressing my body. I'll get there, slowly :)

      Delete
    3. That's why it's good that you teach what you do. There's a key for every locked door. :)

      Delete