I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Who is Being Fed?

From the Golden Tarot, the Six of Coins; from the Yantra Deck, 'Intention:'
Compassion is not a relationship between the healer and the wounded.
It's a relationship between equals. ~ Pema Chodron 
          This giver seems to be posing as if for a photo op as he hands out coins to the men who sit below him. He'll probably tweet or post on Facebook about his generosity later. Does he realize that a simple twist of fate could have put him in the beggar's shoes? Being generous has nothing to do with desiring acknowledgement or with wanting to shore up self-worth. It is motivated by a tenderness of the heart and guided by humility. What is given is what is needed; a person grieving doesn't care about money, but a hug might bring comfort. Intention is a deliberate articulation of a conscious goal. If I were to take a trip to a city I've never been before, I'd look at a map and plan how to get there. Likewise, intentions can keep us headed toward our objective rather than getting sidetracked by hidden agendas (which we might not even be aware of). If it is my intention to be generous, then I need to be aware of and eliminate any action on my part that is just feeding my ego.

8 comments:

  1. Great post. I have said this so many times but charity/caritas originally meant love not a hierarchical relationship or a way to signal one's virtue. As you say love/compassion can take many forms. It is better to give in accordance with the other persons need's not our own preferred style (like throwing cash at a problem).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That recognition of shared humanity seems to be missing, doesn't it? And as you expressed, 'throwing cash at a problem' is almost always a temporary fix (or none at all).

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of intentions being our road map for our spiritual journey. Personally I don't use specific intentions but they might give me a more clear direction of where I want to go and who I want to be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to remember to repeat the Five Precepts (my version) every morning as a road map:
      ~ I vow not to harm but to nurture all life.
      ~ I vow not to take what is not given but to practice generosity.
      ~ I vow not to be selfish in my relationships but to treat every person with respect.
      ~ I vow not to engage in false speech but to speak and listen from the heart.
      ~ I vow not to intoxicate body or mind but to cultivate a mind that sees clearly.

      Of course I often take an exit ramp rather than practice these, but I find they can be a gentle reminder not to do so! :D

      Delete
    2. That's beautiful Bev and very inspiring to write my own.

      Delete
  3. response scrubbed. I need an attitude adjustment

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. When it's done with the right attitude, it most certainly is. :)

      Delete