I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Challenge of Honesty

This week I'll be using the Picture Postcard Tarot created by Marcia McCord.  Today's card is the Six of Wands:
The Mounted Police lead a parade through the streets.  Here are the heroes, who keep order and make the city safe for all.  The number six often refers to a return to harmony - things have settled down and life is restored to sanity once again.  Add the wands to the mix, and you get a challenge that has been successfully met, with others recognizing your achievement.  Today begins our holiday madness, and I'm so glad to see we'll be returning home this evening feeling like we've made a difference by just showing up.  Sometimes its not about the presents we give but the attitude we ride out with...

     The oracle I'll be working with this week is called Steps to Serenity; it's one I created myself and is based on the principles and philosophy behind the 12 Steps.  This morning's draw is "Honesty:"
"He is very much the actor.  To the outer world he presents his stage character.  This is the one he likes his fellows to see.  He wants to enjoy a certain reputation, but knows in his heart he doesn't deserve it." ~ AA Big Book
Just as this cheetah hides in the grass, I am adept at hiding my true self, living behind my masks.  I don't mean what I say or say what I mean.  I don't allow myself to be vulnerable by showing what is within to those on the outside.  Self-honesty relieves me of this weight, and puts me on the path to wholeness.  Then I truly can live in freedom without fear.  My masks during the holidays want me to be the martyr, to tell everyone "Look at all I have to do with no help!"  Yet if am honest, I know I have a daughter and a husband who are willing to assist if I will only ask.  Like the Mounted Police above, we can act as a team if I will allow it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment