I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Usefulness of Clarity and Humor

This week I'll be using the Margarete Peterson Tarot, a deck that took Peterson 22 years to complete.  Today's card is the Ace of Feathers (Swords):
A peacock feather seems to hide the moon behind it, suggesting mental clarity without emotional baggage.  The "eye" of the feather represents seeing the truth objectively.  It has been said that in the days of chivalry, "by the Peacock” was a sacred oath, because the peacock was thought to have the power of resurrection and renewal, like the Phoenix.  This idea might have been born from seeing the peacock drop all of his beautiful feathers during molting season and then later replace them.  I do know the power of thought - changing my thought can alter not only my mood and attitude, but my life as well.

     The oracle deck I'll be using this week is Heart of the Faerie, created by Brian and Wendy Froud.  Today's card is "Oh No!:
"
The Frouds give the key phrases "Just one of those days, Obstructions, and The Unexpected" to this impish fellow.  I'm running on four hours of sleep today, and after the emotional day I had yesterday, this is NOT the card I wanted to choose!  Yesterday I felt overwhelmed by life.  I found out two old friends were battling some serious illnesses, another wanted me to perform an impossible task, and another has had her life turned upside down and wanted me to provide her with an instant solution.  If I had a secret cave somewhere, I think I would have gone and hid in it last night, just to have a break from everyone.  Yet this card and the woman battling brain cancer both gave me the same advice: Don't lose your sense of humor.  And though these are some serious issues, my own inner imp tells me that while I can offer encouragement, I'm fresh out of fairy godmother wands.

No comments:

Post a Comment