I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Turning, Turning

This week I'll be using the Rosetta Tarot with its companion book, The Book of Seshet, both created by M.M. Meleen.  This deck is based on the Thoth, but with unique interpretations of the images.  The card chosen today is Fortune:
  
The Fortune card generally indicates perpetual change and transformation.  The Hebrew letter kaph (kaf) is associated with this card; its literal translation means "palm."  Having my palm extended means I may be in the process of receiving or letting go as the wheel of life turns.  Three figures are seen in this image: a sphinx, a monkey (Hermanubis), and an alligator (Typhon).  These three creatures can represent the three Hindu gunas (operating principles of nature) or the three gods of the Hindu trinity.  The sphinx represents rajas (the guna of action/generation) and Brahma (the god of creation).  The monkey symbolizes sattvas (the guna of harmony and calmness) and Vishnu (the god of preservation).  The alligator corresponds to tamas (the guna of darkness and heaviness) and Shiva (the god of destruction).  Drawing such an auspicious card on New Year's Eve makes me look forward to the coming of 2012.  Looking back, I can see how the cycles of these trinities have affected my life, and the many transformations that have occurred.

     The oracle I'll be using this week is the Ascension to Paradise deck and book set, created by Jane Toerien (author) and Joyce van Dobben (artist) who previously created the set Bird Cards.  The Ascension set features birds from around the world.  Today's card is the "Bittern:"
The bittern is a master of camouflage, and prefers this technique rather than flight when frightened.  This bird asks me to look at what may be hidden in my life - creative potential, feelings, or motives.  Whether positive or negative, these are aspects I need to uncover and deal with appropriately.  The more masks I take off, the more my authentic, joyful self can shine through.

No comments:

Post a Comment