I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Helping or Hurting?

   This morning the card pulled from the Illuminated Tarot is the Empress:
The Empress is like Mother Earth, who gives to us without reservation.  She sustains us, nurtures us, and offers her abundance without measure.  The Empress is also associated with Venus, the Roman goddess of love and beauty, and resembles her as she is pure emotion.  The only downside to this lovely lady is that she can give to people who need to be doing things for themselves.  Compassion and care can be a good thing, but these traits need to be balanced with allowing people to learn how to meet their own challenges and obligations.  Like the earth, my resources will run dry if I offer myself with no limits.

     The Dreaming in Color deck offers the "Resentment" card this morning:
When I first drew this card, I thought it an odd combination with the Empress above.  But now I realize it represents my "tipping point."  I can be supportive of others and offer them encouragement, but if they refuse to even try to help themselves, I'm going to start feeling annoyed.  And if I choose to continue in this one-sided relationship, that feeling of annoyance will become resentment.  Before I get to this point, I need to check my own motivations for perpetuating an unhealthy behavior in another person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment