I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Second Thoughts

Today the card chosen from Williams' Ship of Fools Tarot is the Seven of Swords:
This fool is so intent on slipping off with his stash of swords, he's in the process of stubbing his toe and walking into a wall.  Sevens are about evaluating and choosing, and in this case the fellow has chosen to steal (words, ideas, etc.) from another to further his own interests.  His actions will be his undoing; dishonesty and wrongdoing have a way of coming to light.  As Robert L. Stephenson once said, "Everybody, soon or late, sits down to a banquet of consequences."  My responsibility lies in watching carefully for rationalization.  Sometimes my best defense is to talk to another about my plans; this can help me shine the light on my excuses and uncover my true motivation.

     The Wisdom of the Four Winds deck today produced the card "Tree Fern - the unfolding:"
 
These amazing ferns can grow up to 20 meters high with fronds up to 5 meters in length. The koru, an unopened fern frond, has long been a Maori symbol of new life, growth and strength.  The koru will instinctively uncurl and stretch toward the sun.  And like that frond, I must uncover what is buried and look at my shadow by shining the light of truth on it.  Otherwise, I may unconsciously react and make decisions based on what I keep hidden inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment