I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, April 20, 2012

"I Should Have Known Better..."

From the Nigel Jackson Tarot, the Ten of Staves (Wands):
If I had to create a title for this card, it would probably be "Oppressive Power."  A captor holds a whip of chains while burning the books of the people (free-thinking is not allowed).  The captives hang their heads in defeat, unwilling to fight for their liberty.  Often in the Ten of Wands, one person is carrying a large load, implying they have caused their own problems by taking on more than their share.  In Jackson's card, the people are being forced to comply.  Will they become "sheeple" and blindly go along with what their persecutor tells them they must do?  Or will they remember they have a mind of their own and use it to guide them in a spirited rebellion?  Not even the Roman Empire lasted forever; I'm betting someone will soon take the dagger from the tormentor's waistband and firmly plant it in his heart.

     From the Sabian Symbols, "Virgo, 1st Degree:"

In a portrait, the best of a man's traits and character are idealized.
Is it a bad thing to look for the good in people?  No, I don't think so.  But to balance that attitude, I must not put people on a pedestal either.  When my wants (and possibly needs) are wrapped up in one person, I may refuse to the red flags in a person's behavior that may have warned me away from them.  How many people have been exploited or ended up in an abusive relationship, thinking they needed a man/woman in their life so desperately, they ignored all the warning bells that went off when they met this person?  This symbol reminds me to be discerning in all my relationships, whether with people or groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment