I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, September 27, 2018

Life Preservers

From the Songs for the Journey Home Tarot, Wave Awakening (Knight of Cups); from the Raven Cards, 'Open up your heart:'
          Knights represent a highly charged enthusiasm for their particular suit, but unfortunately, the wisdom of how to use it is lacking. The Knight of Cups dives into the ocean of emotions over and over; he hasn't figured out the usefulness of a life jacket or that a flotation device to extend to others would be helpful. A large part of his worthiness is tied up into 'saving' others, though he can often need saving himself. He's got the first part of the Raven card down pat - 'Open up your heart' - but he needs to mature to understand what 'give your blessing' means. John O'Donohue writes that a blessing "suggests that no life is alone or unreachable" and that its purpose is to "embrace and elevate whatever is happening to someone." That means we compassionately commit to sit with someone's pain but not drown in it. Sinking in their sorrow would prevent us from 'elevating' the situation to a more positive, beneficial place. One day this Knight may learn most people don't need saving; they just need to know that there's someone who will hold their hand when life gets overwhelming.

4 comments:

  1. I think you told me once you'd donated your Songs to anonymouse. What moved you to get it again? Always in my top five, particularly when heart sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one I donated was the small version which lost some of the artistic details with my far-sightedness. This is an older, larger version which I love that also came with a book.😊

      Delete
  2. I agree with your comment that most people don't need saving, they just need someone to listen, to be with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy for me to forget that if I get caught in an emotional riptide.

      Delete