I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, September 16, 2018

There's No "I" in Team

This week I'll be using the John Bauer Tarot published by Lo Scarabeo; Bauer's art was edited by Pietro Alligo and the lwb written by Jaymi Elford. I'll also be drawing from the Arthur Rackham Oracle, created and self-published by Doug Thornsjo of Duck Soup. Today's cards are the Four of Wands (from The Troll's Ride) and 'Shadow' (from The Goose Girl)
          In a dark forest, a young man rides at full tilt with a smaller figure barely hanging on to the rump of the horse. If this were a rescue, the illustration might represent victory by the skin of one's teeth. The booklet suggests 'homecoming' as a keyword, implying a happy reunion. The Shadow card shows a woman herding geese with a shadow watching on the wall. Geese are notorious for being aggressive sentries, so for them to be oblivious to the shadowy presence says a lot. This card indicates something important (and harmful) is being overlooked. Together with the Four of Wands, it might be that one person is taking credit for a success that actually belongs to many people. It would more beneficial (and humble) to take Isaac Newton's attitude: "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."

2 comments:

  1. I just unboxed a deck which made me think about homecomings. How we can come home to our true selves :) Along with the Shadow, I wonder if the geese are oblivious because the shadow is a part of that true self... :)
    That Isaac Newton quote is such a good reminder. Like being dependent on others around us in big and small ways, we are also dependent on those who came before. I feel so blessed that I have access to so much information that others have taken time to gather and think about.
    Hope all is well with you, Bev!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think each of us has a shadow that contains some good that we refuse to see as well as some not-so-good tendencies. Ignoring either doesn't help. :)
      All my knowledge came from someone else, but I think each of us puts our own personal spin on it through the lens we view it with.
      I'm good and hope life has slowed down a mite for you!

      Delete