I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, September 30, 2018

Walk Humbly

This week I'll be using the Tarot of the Masters, created and self-published by James Ricklef. (I'll also be referring to Ricklef's Tarot Affirmations book.) The oracle deck I'll be using is The Key to the Kingdom, a transformational cards and booklet set created by Tony Meeuwissen and published by Running Press. Today's draws are Justice and the 'Joker:'
          Lady Justice sits with the sword of truth and right action in one hand and the scales of balance and discernment in the other. Looking at this card, a verse from the prophet Micah popped into my head when he told the people what was expected of them: "To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Justice is balanced with mercy and humility. Part of being humble means I realize that it is nearly impossible not to let my beliefs and opinions influence any decisions I make. My stuff will always have an effect on how I perceive the world. Perhaps that's why we need mercy too. The Joker is paired with verses written by Mary Howitt. A spider invites a fly into its parlor in a friendly way, but the fly knows its motives and doesn't accept the invitation. Should the spider be punished? He only acted as nature created him after all. Both these cards remind me that if I know who I'm dealing with (and it is someone untrustworthy), I shouldn't want revenge if I get involved and then taken advantage of. Would the fly think it could outsmart the spider once it was in its web? My energy would be better used to warn others away and expose this person.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I need constant reminders of walking humbly. 😊

      Delete
  2. We all need constant reminders of walking humbly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was reading a theologian's book in which he used this verse and suggested that the 'walk humbly with your god' should be considered as advice to be respectful of other beliefs instead of being self-righteous about our own. Made sense to me!

      Delete