I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, March 2, 2019

What Can I Control?

From the Badgers Forest Tarot, the Chariot; from the Gemstone Oracle, Picasso Jasper:
It is not possible
To control all external events
But, if I simply control my mind,
What need is there to control other things?
Shantideva

I thought it insane that the artist would use the aggressive swan and a rat (known to eat bird eggs and baby birds) together for the Chariot. But when we're trying to move forward, it can feel just as crazy - as if everything outside of us is working at opposite purposes. Yet the words of Shantideva encourage us to train the mind rather than trying to control external situations. My thoughts are what will cause me to give up prematurely way before any outside thing brings me to a complete halt. Picasso Jasper represents conflict and the desire for resolution. If I go into a situation thinking that my opinion is the only right one and no one else brings any wisdom to the table, there won't be much accomplished. Dale Partridge puts this in perspective: "Remember, confrontation is about reconciliation and awareness, not judgment or anger." If I want things to move forward, I need to be openminded enough to realize I don't know everything and that perhaps there are those who can fill in my gaps.

4 comments:

  1. could represent the asshat drivers we love to hate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It blows my mind that people seem to care nothing about the dangerous risks they take with their cars and lives.

      Delete
  2. The Rat is the Charioteer. In Chinese Astrology the Rat took a ride on the Ox's back and then jumped off at the last second and got to shore first so it could be the 1st on the Astrology Wheel. Sneaky rat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting story about the rat and the astrological wheel!

      Delete