I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Appreciation Rather Than Appropriation

From the Waking the Wild Spirit Tarot, the Shapeshifter/Page of Fire (Wands); from the Saltwater Reading Cards, Sea Anemones:
          Using an older person as a Page is unusual, but having a desire to explore life in new and different ways doesn't have an age stamp on it. And a shapeshifter would have the opportunity to experience life through the bodies of various animals, seeing and feeling as they do. While this option isn't available for the vast majority, we can enjoy learning about and visiting other cultures and places. Yet the sting of Sea Anemones implies we may want to respect the boundaries and beliefs of others. In the book Holy Envy, Barbara Brown Taylor suggests looking but not poaching. And though she speaks of appropriation from a religious viewpoint, it applies to cultural pilfering as well: "I have learned that possessing an artifact is not the same as possessing the spiritual reality it represents. The things I envy have their own terroir [unique environment], their own long histories of weather and fertilization. They do not exist to serve me, improve me, or profit me. They have their own dominion." Cultural sensitivity means respectful appreciation - avoiding stereotypes, acknowledging origins and refusing to use sacred artifacts for accessories.

2 comments:

  1. by the time I'd hit my 30s I realized we always have a page inside. She is still there today, trying new things, making mistakes. One of the things that keeps me from despairing related to aging. She will persevere, the goofy Sharyn .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually thought of you when I pulled this card. :) You are always exploring and learning, looking to experience the world from different perspectives and in different places.

      Delete