I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, February 23, 2020

Bog of Apathy

This week I'll be using the Rosetta Tarot along with its companion book The Book of Seshet. This set was created by M.M. Meleen and published by Atu House. The oracle deck I'll be using is Ascension to Paradise, a book and deck set created by Jane Toerien and Joyce van Dobben and published by Binkey Kok. Today's draws are the Eight of Cups and Cassowary:

          Being Thoth-influenced, the Rosetta Eight of Cups has been given the keyword indolence - a state of lethargic dullness. It has been described as the bog of numbness and apathy and a place of stagnation. It is not where anyone wants to be, but once there, it feels impossible to move away from it. Its appearance raises several questions: Has my body been in overdrive and given little chance to rest? Am I taking care of other people while failing to take care of myself? No one will be coming to rescue me; restorative healing will only come through the wholesome attention I give to myself. The Cassowary is a large (about 100 lbs.), flightless bird with sharp, dagger-like claws. They are normally wary of humans but can inflict dangerous and sometimes fatal injuries if they feel threatened and attack. Cassowary is a reminder that trying to attack a feeling is useless; instead, that energy would be better channeled into creating some sacred space and engaging in self-compassion (without adding any self-pity or self-indulgence).

Caring for myself is an act of survival.
 — Audre Lorde

4 comments:

  1. That is an interesting Eight of Cups. The center bottom cup seems to be the fountain, not the 3 cups atop that flow down returning to a catch basin. And the symbols on the cups, 4 with the symbol of Isis and 4 with the planet Jupiter or Saturn. Jupiter is what first came to mind. Wisdom and expansiveness or wisdom with discipline, Jupiter or Saturn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saturn in Pisces. It's like the fountain doesn't have enough energy to pull from the lake and fill the upper cups.

      Delete
  2. wallowing gives me a break from trying so hard. I'm resting, as out of work actors say.

    ReplyDelete